Thomson High School Dress Code 2022-2023Students are expected to dress and groom themselves in such a way as to reflect high standards of neatness, cleanliness, and good taste. All students should be modestly dressed in a manner that does not disrupt the learning environment or the operation of the school. Administrators will make a determination of appropriate dress in the case of any uncertainty or dispute. The following guidelines apply to all students in the halls and classrooms during school hours:
- All Thomson High School students must wear identification badges properly displayed at all times.
- Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be no more than four inches above the knee.
- No holes are allowed in clothing that exposes flesh above the knee.
- Belts must be buckled if worn.
- Pants and shirts must be of the appropriate size, and pants must be secured at the waist. Sagging pants will not be tolerated. Belts must be buckled and through belt loops in pants if pants have loops, sashes tied, straps strapped, and suspenders and other fasteners fastened. If a student is not wearing a belt, or is wearing a belt, but the belt is not holding the pants up properly, that student’s belt loops will be zip-tied.
- No spaghetti straps, tube tops, tank tops, muscle shirts, off the shoulder blouses, or revealing blouses which show underwear or cleavage.
- Crop tops must be worn with a t-shirt underneath. Students who come to school wearing a crop top with-out an undershirt underneath will be required to either put on an undershirt or report to ISS.
- No slit shorts, or skirts with slits above the knee, or unusually tight or loose clothing will be allowed.
- Visible underwear or any type of attire that looks like underwear is not allowed.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- Tights, jeggings, yoga pants, leggings, or any spandex type material are allowed alone or as pants, as long as the student is wearing a shirt that extends to the mid-thigh area.
- No apparel, clothing, or accessories are allowed that depict or imply profanity, violence, nudity (of either sex), drugs, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, gang or symbols of a gang nature, weapons of violence, or a message that is determined by administrators to degrade other students, ethnic groups, or authority figures.
- No bedroom shoes, pajamas, sleepwear, or swimwear are allowed.
- Any clothing, jewelry, accessories, or any article that is disruptive may not be worn or carried. This includes spikes, bandanas and oversized chains.
- No head coverings are allowed. This includes, but is not necessarily limited to, hats, caps, bandanas, do-rags, wave caps, hairnets, stocking caps, combs, picks, the hood on hooded jackets or shirts.
- Sunglasses are not to be worn on the face, head, or around the neck while inside the building.
- No transparent or translucent clothing. (See-through).
- Blankets, comforters, throws, and bedding materials may not be used at school and are not appropriate at school for dress or other uses.
Note: All dress code infractions will result in a disciplinary referral The interpretation and decision of this policy by the principal shall be final. The principal of the school has a right to prohibit any item of clothing he/she deems to be inappropriate. The principal shall have full discretion to schedule special dress days. A student will be placed in ISS until he/she is in compliance with the dress code.