Requirements for Extracurricular Activities
Students must meet the requirements of the Georgia High School Association to be eligible to represent Thomson High School in interscholastic contests. Students must accumulate units towards graduation according to the following criteria:
- First-year students (entering 9th grade) are eligible academically. Second semester first-year students must have passed courses carrying at least 2.5 units the previous semester in order to participate.
- Second-year students must have accumulated five (5) total units in the first year, AND passed courses carrying at least 2.5 units in the previous semester.
- Third-year students must have accumulated eleven (11) units in the first and second years, AND passed courses carrying at least 2.5 units in the previous semester.
- Fourth-year students must have accumulated seventeen (17) units in the first three years, AND passed courses carrying at least 2.5 units in the previous semester. (e) Students may accumulate the required units for participation during the school year and eligibility will be reinstated at the beginning of the next semester.
4x4 Block System
- The student takes four courses that are worth one (1) unit each and the classes meet twice the number of hours per week as in the standard curricular programs.
- To be eligible, a student must earn at least 2.5 units.
- Unit requirements are the same in all curricular programs.
Students not meeting these requirements will be ineligible to participate in extracurricular activities.
For more information, visit the GHSA website for the full GHSA Consitituion and By-Laws.