Welcome to Thomson High School for the 2019-2020 school year. As many of you know, I am a member of the Thomson High School Class of 1988. When I think about all of the people who I went to school with, I feel a kinship with them because Thomson High School helped to rear us. We have a shared experience of football Friday nights, pep rallies, basketball games, the creaky wood floors at the old school, school dances, and the teachers who had seemingly been teachers since the beginning of time. Most of us have fond memories of who we were back then and are proud Thomson Bulldogs.
The teachers and administrators at THS are working hard to continue that proud tradition. We have spent the better part of last year developing strategies to improve instruction. Additionally, we are all working hard to instill the spirit of THS into the students who are enrolled here.
We had many great things happen at THS this past year. Here are a few highlights:
● The Class of 2019 earned over $1,000,000 worth of scholarship money.
● THS received $100,000 from Georgia Power to go towards the new welding program.
● THS hired its first welding instructor, Ms. Courtney Moser, and she will begin teaching classes this year.
● The Beta, FBLA, and FFA Clubs took representatives to compete at their respective national conventions. Students from all three clubs placed at the national level.
● Our Robotics Club, with the aid of engineers from John Deere, participated in its first competitions.
● Seven members of the Class of 2019 also graduated from Augusta Technical College before their high school graduation.
● THS students received over 80 national, state, and local awards and recognitions.
It is our ongoing goal to give the students of THS the best education we can possibly give them. In order to achieve this goal, we will need the entire community’s support. I am looking forward to another great year! Go Dogs!